As an introduction/background to the project I’ll explain why I’ve used the word ‘revisited’ in the title of this first post. Leeds Met Library last investigated federated searching solutions when we were looking for an Open URL product during 2006/07. At this time the 3 main products we evaluated were from Serials Solutions, Ex-Libris and Ebsco. When we decided to chose SFX, the Ex-Libris product, the use of their federated searching system Metalib seemed like a natural progression, however various factors delayed further investigation or implementation of this (or any other) product.
Now, however, we are more than ready to move on and have become aware that the market for resource discovery has developed (as these things do!) beyond anything available 4 years ago.
The key objective of the project is to improve overall discoverablity of print and electronic resources for students and staff at the University.
The project group itself consists of colleagues from each ‘stream’ of the department (Academic, Resources, Technologies and Operations) and I hope all of them will be as enthused as I am about the project and contribute to this blog (i.e. help a fledgling blogger to add some of the content!).
We’ve had an initial meeting, decided on Terms of Reference and are now at the stage of organising vendor demonstrations and setting criteria to evaluate the systems against.
I hope to include demo highlights on the blog in the near future, so that’s something to look forward to 🙂
Two recommended & excellent blogs I’ve already added to my RSS reader are Federated Search Blog and eLibrary (Birmingham City University eLibrary Team).
Well, as someone more used to microblogging (@DebbieMN), this has taken me ages to write but I think it’s going to be a useful addition to the project, if only as a reflective tool for the group’s collective thoughts. And if it’s half as good as our repository blog I’ll be happy 🙂